Sunday, May 22, 2011

Gourmet D'Asie May 2011 2481 Fleury 514 3818883

I have eaten at this restaurant more often than any other in the last 10 years, on average 1.5 times a month.

It's features are proximity to my work, it is relatively inexpensive, it is a BYOB restaurant and to a great extent the owner Mai is absolutely charming.

The table d'hote is always a good deal despite the standard Vietnamese offerings of brochettes. The stand out here is the soup which has a rich textured flavour with something other than broth. My companions are also fond of the wonton soup although I have yet to try it myself. One thing I must try is the pad thai which one of my companion eats regularly and swears that it is the best he has ever had.There a few interseting dishes such as the lotus root salad and the beef salad which unfortunately is sometimes served with too much dressing that masks the wondeful  flavours.

The large seafood soup usually fits the bill with soem tasty scallops shrinp and the obliging clams that amkes the dish look pretty.

Meals are ususally between 12-18 dollars including tips. Fridays and Saturdays are busy so reserve. They have a terrasse at the front  but the view is  blah some flowers and vines to hide the drab street would be an improvement.

One word to those that do not like salt stay away from any of the breaded fish dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment