Sunday, May 29, 2011

Moti Mehal May 24th

1024 Jean Talon West
5143158801

One of the so many Indian restaurants in what I remember being the Greek area of Park X. Since today is Dylan's birthday all I can say is the times they are a changing. At times for the better and at times for the worse. Being an amateur of all things Indian I am often drawn to this part of the city for the food. I have sampled most Indian restaurants on this strip. I had a few years ago tried this restaurant and noticed they offered Balti dishes which immediately made my mouth salivate with the memories of the Balti chicken from the Shahi Palace on Sources. Well it seems the owners of this restaurant were part owners in the Shahi Palace which I consider to be the best Indian  in Montreal.

Now  a few years later I returned with 3 friends for some late Friday victuals. The room was full and we managed to get seats after another couple were displaced...this only happens in ethnic restaurants it seems.
We ordered the Nan some Balti chicken  Beef Palek (hope I remember that correctly)  Okra and a vegetable briyani.
We also started with 2 dishes of Chnan samosa which had been hand written in the menu..this street food seems to have gained quite a following in Montreal Indian restaurants.

All the food arrived quickly and was either warm or hot which for me is a big plus. I would say I was impressed with the briyani not because it was to die for but I expected less as with many of the area restaurants that soak this dish with oil.  The beef was cooked with the pureed spinach and was fair with not enough discerning flavours for my taste buds. The bread was also acceptable but not noteworthy. The best dish of the nigh was the Balti chicken which has several layers of flavours. The okra a beautiful vegetable on its own was completely devoid of flavour once mixed with the onions and sauce , luckily it still retained some of its crunchiness.

I was glad to have been asked how hot we wanted our dishes and having responded with medium is what we got.

Overall a good experience with he servers being attentive and pleasant. If however you crave something more do make it to the Shahi palace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment