Sunday, May 15, 2011

Ma Grosse Truie Cherie

!801 Ontario Corner Papineau.

This is another restaurant that has shot to notoriety in an area best described as changing. The exterior of the building has been decorated with a stand out piece of art resembling what else a Sow.

Sitting around and wondering where to eat my companion asked to go somewhere nice and new. Having just been told of this restaurant I called and got a 6:30 reservation which suited us just fine. On arrival our hostess led us to our table via the kitchen which I thought was WOW. As we walked on she asked if we could leave for 830 since another group had reservations at that time. I mentioned 2 hours should be sufficient give or take 5 minutes.

The room is to my liking with some old and new but decor is not what I long for in restaurants. The menu is a one page list with a few appetizers , and 5 mains all revolving around pork safe for a fish dish and some beef.

We ordered a soup and the foie gras as appetizers. Our server suggested a Spanish wine in the "modest" category which turned out to be the best thing of the evening . It matched beautifully our meal and just seemed to get better as the night wore on. For mains we had the pork ribs and as I mentioned to our server I just had to try what a $28 burger tasted like.

The soup arrived with the foie gras. I am no fan of foie gras nor too fond of soup but my dinner companion loves both so we shared . Not being a fan of soup I especially do not like lukewarm soup. I mentioned this to the server and the soup was returned piping hot which suited me fine. However her comment that the soup was hot but maybe the container was cold just killed it.

The soup was a beef based broth with pieces of smoked ham as best I could make it with some Quebec cheese that really cut through the soup very nicely indeed. The foie gras was as my companion mentioned good as she has never had bad foie gras. The mains arrived and the hamburger looked delicious with some well caramelised onions a large grilled mushroom and what should be a succulent piece of foie gras to enhance the veal patty. All in all a very tasty burger indeed but the foei gras really did not add  all that much. I must say I only ate a third of the burger as the soup was quite filling. The burger was accompanied with parmesan coated fries which were good but not spectacular.

My companion had he ribs that were accompanied with slaw and the same fries. The ribs were succulent and moist with a sweet sauce. Very well done. The whole was presented to the table in a large  square casserole that really did not fit in , but who am I to say. The rack was al;so too much for us to tackle and both the ribs and burger were placed in small Chines Food containers a s doggy bags a cute touch.

Now back to my reservation, as the night progressed my companion noted that she felt rushed with her meal with the server asking if she had finished with her plate as she was actually pulling fries from the dish. At 8:10 our server mentioned that a reservation was coming at 8:30 and could she ease the bill in. Immediately following this another employee began rearranging tables all around us in a loud manner disrupting our conversation.

My entire tab with tip was $178 not the most expensive meal I have had but certainly not a cheap ticket and it was spoiled by the greed of this Establishment. Had I known this would have been the case I would have chosen another restaurant and made nothing of it. It is my opinion that once the Establishment is committed then see it through.

I can overlook this somewhat but my companion will never return under any circumstance.


My suggestion is go to La Boucan on Notre Dame  ( will review again soon) the food is as good the crowd is hipper and the cost is as you can guess cheaper

No comments:

Post a Comment